Saturday, December 19, 2009

Friendly Disappointments

Some say a true friendship is when you feel comfortable enough with your people, to be yourself. Well, being myself I let my friends know at the last minute that due to my parents' visit, my sick husband, my kids sleep-over plans, the snow and the tchulent we ate not so long ago, I will not be coming to her after-Hanukkah gathering. My friend was very understanding and a minute after I hang up I couldn't resist and asked myself the following questions:
Does she really mean it?
Is this the true friendship where you feel at home enough to disappoint someone but than, in some way, make it up to them?
Maybe they felt relieved we are not coming?
Was she polite in saying it was OK? (I loved the 'you'll be missed' bit).

What do you think? Ever been in that situation? what did you do? How was it resolved?

No comments:

Post a Comment